A project I did when I was working in the University. It was a web application that would be used to layout pages and generate pdf magazines. A magazine editor.
The design in general was quite poor but it was full of nice functionality.
Some of the features:
- Auto generated index.
- Templates for the magazine page layouts, headers and style. (some predefined ones and a mechanism to add new ones)
- Predetermined page layouts and also free-form boxes and images.
- Save and load current magazine issue.
- Pdf download rendered from the magazine issue.
- Integration with external sources for article and image retrieval.
A challenge at the time was to get the rendering from web pages to PDF. For that I used a Firefox on the server (it gave me a few stability problems).
The result of the printing process was a bit unstable for the server in terms of memory management but it was pretty powerful in terms of layouts, css and pdf printing for the client.